Holm just had her 3rd MMA fight on February 28th. Against an opponent with ** ONE ** prior Pro Fight.
This is how Jonathan Snowden (MMA Lead Writer) for bleacherreport.com rates Holm's performance.
"Loser: Holly Holm Holly Holm is a big name in women's boxing... She's been a world champion and is the veteran of 40 combined professional fights. While she isn't a veteran in the MMA cage, she's a top fighter and should be matched in a way that makes sense. I understand she was in her hometown. I understand that Bellator wanted her to get a win. But Katie Merrill wasn't appropriate competition. She (Merrill) looked, as announcer Jimmy Smith repeated several times, like she is a true 125-pounder... She (Merrill) certainly doesn't belong in a fight with the likes of Holly Holm. Considering all that, I don't think it's a win for Holm, even though she got the finish. The fact that this fight went to the second round should be a little embarrassing for Holm and her team."
- Jonathan Snowden (MMA Lead Writer) bleacherreport.com
1. Snowden cuts thru all the BS and gets straight to the truth. Why such a weak opponent for Holm? "SHE ( Merrill ) CERTAINLY DOESN'T BELONG IN A FIGHT WITH THE LIKES OF HOLLY HOLM." That one line sums up the situation perfectly and Snowden is to be congratulated for speaking the truth.
2. HOLM at 135lbs. When Holm drops weight down to 135 - she looks gaunt and emaciated. Holly looks great at 145. She looks healthy at 145. Carano refused to drop below 145. Cyborg Santos refuses to drop below 145. Braekhus would never drop down to 135.
3. I had said that the "beyond parody" fight was NOT going to be Braekhus-St. John, but rather it would be Bellator 91 with Holm fighting such weak competition.
4. BUT WAIT - IT GETS WORSE - MUCH, MUCH WORSE I just read the comments being posted on Holly Holm facebook and the comments would have one thinking Holm had just beaten Cyborg Santos. The fans in New Mexico would probably post "congrats" and "way to go girl" if Holm had beaten a milk cow.
The extreme simplicity of this lead writer and his sycophants has now been fully revealed. Holm didn't go charging into MMA thinking she could start at the top, she built her MMA skills in the gym and tested them before taking on Rousey. She started at the bottom of a new sport and worked her way up to the top. She was more than ready when she got there and she admits that she kept some of her best techniques a little hidden in her early fights so she could be a bigger surprise for Rousey when the time came. She had a long view and the last laugh on this writer and his like.